Investing in domains is like investing in anything else in that it requires strategy and knowledge of best practices to be successful. Use these tips from our domain experts to build your portfolio in the smartest way.
1) Familiarize yourself with the domain industry, including various blogs and conferences. What categories of names are other domain investors acquiring? What are experienced domainers talking about? What has sold recently, and for how much?
2) Pay attention to emerging trends. 2011 was the year for cloud computing, and Cloud.com was valued by Citrix (the company that purchased Cloud.com) at $18 million. You can use tools like Google Insights for Search to view historical and current interest in any topic and Twitter Trending Topics to view what is hot right now.
3) Use keyword tools like the free Google Adwords tool to estimate search volume for a given term. Domain buyers are often interested in domains including keywords for their SEO benefit.
4) Focus on investing in .coms, at least to begin with. These domains are the most valuable and are likely to remain as such. They are universally recognized and receive a substantially larger amount of direct traffic than any other top level domain.
5) Keep up to date with domain law. If you are outside the US, you should become familiar with your own country’s laws.
6) Include your own interests in your domain portfolio. Chances are you have will already have a leg up on what is “up and coming” in these areas and can find corresponding domains quickly to add to your portfolio.
7) Subscribe to the Afternic blog, Domainer’s Advantage, where you can view domain sales by category each month and see a breakdown of sales each week.
8) Order a professional domain appraisal. Afternic’s proprietary Domain Name Index Scoring & Valuation System includes both a numerical score and a monetary valuation based on criteria like search volume, comparable sales, and current trends. This appraisal will make sure your domain is priced appropriately.
9) Park your domains with Afternic to earn revenue while you are deciding whether to develop or sell the name. List the domains you decide to sell with Afternic. What better way to get a feel for what buyers are looking for than to list your names for sale with the leading domain marketplace.
10) Finally, review your portfolio each year to see which domains to keep since maintaining registration for hundreds of domains can add up. You also want to check your Afternic account to make sure that all of your domains listed for sale are actually *for sale* to keep the domain sales process running smoothly.
Speak to the most experienced domain consulting team in the industry today. Call 866-829-9361 (Toll Free) or 339-222-5145 (Worldwide).